Baptisms, Confirmations, and RCIA
- Infant Baptisms are celebrated only on the 1st Sunday of the month at 2:30 pm in Spanish and on the 2nd Sunday of the month at 2:30 pm in English. There are no Baptism classes or rites during Lent.
- The Church expects parents and the sponsors to attend the preparation classes one month prior to the Baptism date so that they are thoroughly prepared for the first sacramental encounter and celebration with their child.
- Pre-Baptism Preparation Classes in English take place on the first Saturday of the month at 10:00 am. These classes last approximately one hour and a half.
- Pre-Baptism Preparation Classes in Spanish take place on the last Sunday of the month from 9:30 am to 11:30 am in the Event Center on the lower level of the Cathedral. Please preregister for this class by contacting Sofia Aguilar at 510-894-4373.
- Parents must print out the Baptism Registration Form, fill in the required information (please print clearly) and either bring it to the Cathedral Office during regular business hours, or mail it to: Baptism Registration – Cathedral of Saint Mary of the Assumption – 1111 Gough Street, San Francisco, CA 94109-6606.
- The cost for two parents and two Godparents is $100 in cash (no checks please) and $50 for Godparents who will be at a Baptism in another Church outside of the Cathedral of Saint Mary of the Assumption. You may bring the payment with you to the Cathedral Office or you may pay online by credit/debit card or bank transfer.
- Pay Baptism Fee Here
- We strongly encourage a saint’s name for the child that is chosen to serve as a special patron to protect, guide, and be the heavenly intercessor for the individual who bears his or her name.
Christian Initiation of School Age Children
- The Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults with adaptations for Children is celebrated year round. Parents requesting the Baptism for their school age children (2nd grade and beyond) are asked to call the Parish Office at 415-567-2020 for an initial interview.
Baptism for these children is celebrated at the Easter Vigil.
Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults (RCIA)
- The Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults (RCIA) process is in session at the Cathedral year round. All candidates are required to have an initial interview upon entering the process. Interviews are conducted at the candidate’s convenience. Please call the Parish Office at 415-567-2020 to make an appointment. The culmination of the process comes with the celebration of the Sacraments of Initiation: Baptism, Confirmation and Eucharist at the Easter Vigil (Holy Saturday Night).
Who is the RCIA process for?
- If you are a child of school age (2nd grade and beyond) and have not been baptized
- If you are 18 or over and have not been baptized
- If you are baptized in another Christian tradition and would like to become a Catholic
- If you are a registered parishioner at St. Mary’s Cathedral and a baptized Catholic and have not made your First Communion and Confirmation, but would like to do so, you may obtain an initial interview by calling:
Parish Office: 415-567-2020
First Communion & Confirmation for Youth
Call the Parish Office
Confirmation for Adults
Confirmation of Adults who are registered Cathedral parishioners.
415-567-2020 Ext. 220